Nomination Criteria and Process
All NCAA Division I schools are eligible to submit nominations for the ARA Sportsmanship Award. Ten finalists will be selected. The winner will be selected by a blue-ribbon panel of retired college football coaches, sports and media professionals, and representatives from ARA and other complementary organizations.
To qualify, an athlete must:
- be a starter or significant contributor on his team
- be in good academic standing
- demonstrate great respect for competitors, school, teammates, and coaches
- show an ability to accept victory and defeat graciously
- convey a high degree of humility and integrity
- demonstrate his commitment in the classroom and service to the community
ARA will collect all nominations, and send them to an ARA panel for consideration. ARA will narrow
the nominees down to a final Top 10, which will be sent to the ARA Sportsmanship Award Selection Committee with the
Members of the Committee will return a ballot to ARA headquarters in the fall. The winner will be announced late in the year.